Friday, August 29, 2014
Friday, August 22, 2014
|September 5||"The Sillies"|
Thursday, August 14, 2014
The Ottumwa Public Library has recently wrapped up their 2014 Summer Reading Programs. This year was a wonderful success and the numbers speak for themselves.
There were 520 children ages 0-14, 22 teenagers, and 213 adults sign up to participate this summer. Between 14 special summer programs and weekly story times there were 2643 who attended the various library sponsored activities.
The best number of all, though, was the number of minutes the kids read: 374,285!!! That translates to 6238 hours of kids reading or being read to this summer.
“We are so proud of our community, and especially our children, for putting so much effort and time to reading this summer,” Sonja Ferrell, Director of the Ottumwa Public Library said. “We especially are grateful to the parents, grandparents, and other adults in their lives for supporting and encouraging their reading habits.”
The library staff drew names from the participants for the grand prizes: The planetarium for the 0-3rd grade winner was Colton Banner. The Kindle for our 4th-8th grade winner was Marcela Arroya. The Amazon gift card for our Teen winner was Noah Duker. The Adult winners were Cheryl Deutschle for a Kindle and Barbara Madsen for a gift certificate to Market on Main.
The library’s first floor wall next to the elevator is covered in ice cream scoops with names from all the children who participated and upstairs below the Staff Recommendations wall is a listing of all the books that the adults reviewed.
The library would like to thank the Ottumwa community for all their support and participation and especially the businesses and organizations that contributed to the program: Tennyson Entertainment, Kiwanis, Ottumwa Public Library Friends of the Library, Sonic, Cargill Meat Solutions, John Deere, I-Cubs, Blank Park Zoo, Little Bake Shop and the Knights of Columbus.
Monday, August 4, 2014
Saturday, July 5, 2014
Saturday, May 24, 2014
Tuesday, May 20, 2014
2014 Summer Reading Program
Ottumwa Public Library
June 1st- July 31st, 2014
LET’S EXPERIMENT WITH SOMETHING NEW!!!
- For children through age 14.
- Start reading or be read to on June 1st to win prizes.
- Keep track of minutes read on calendars from the library. Prizes will be awarded upon returning your reading calendars and you will add your own “scoop” to our library ice cream cone on the wall.
- Please return June calendar after June 30th and the July calendar after July 31st, but before August 9th.
- Different prizes for each month include Pizza Hut coupons, SONIC novelties, Blank Park zoo passes, I-Cubs tickets and Cargill Meat Solutions sling bags. 6. Calendars cannot be returned any later than Aug. 9th. Grand prize drawing on Aug. 11th.
Special Programs DetailsWe are excited to be offering a new Summer Reading Program! There will be programs for all ages offered throughout June & July. (All are listed on Reading Calendars as well.)
NOTE: All Programs are at 10:30 am in the Knights of Columbus Hall unless noted.
LITTLE KIDS (Toddler-3rd grade)
- Wed. 6/11
- ISU Extension “Pick A Better Snack”
- Wed. 6/25
- Pioneer Ridge “Creepy Critters”
- Wed. 7/9
- Wed. 7/23
- Grout Museum “Kitchen Science”
BIG KIDS (4th – 8th grade)
- Wed. 6/18
- Local guest Molly Naumann “Houses With Stories”
- Wed. 7/2
- Dizzy The Clown-“Dizzercise!”
- Wed. 7/16
- Pioneer Ridge-“Creepy Critters”
- Tues. 6/17
- “Fizz, Boom, Read!”-Dizzy The Clown
- Tues. 6/24
- Grout Museum “Mad Mixture”
- Tues. 7/1
- Dan Wardell “Reading Road Trip
- Thurs. 7/3
- 4th of July party! @OPL (outside)
- Tues. 7/8
- Silly Sally “Fizz, Boom, Read!”
- Tues. 7/15
- Jim Birkel “Fizz, Pop, Spark, Boom!”
END OF SUMMER READING PROGRAM PERFORMANCE!
- Tues. 7/29
- The Zinghoppers Group, LLC “Fizz, Boom, Pow!”